The history of Dalgety Town
Dalgety is a small town located on the banks of the Snowy River, between Melbourne and Sydney in New South Wales, Australia.
Sitting on the Monaro Plains in the shadow of the Snowy Mountains, Dalgety is surrounded by rolling hills with impressive granite boulders scattered across the landscape.
Home to the Aboriginal people of the Ngarigo nation for tens of thousands of years, the region was known for its intertribal High Country gatherings in the summer.
European settler Edward Buckley established a farm next to a safe crossing location on the Snowy River in 1832, and named it Buckley’s Crossing.
By 1848 it had been renamed Barnes Crossing and was an important resting place on the stock route between Gippsland in Victoria and the Snowy Mountains in New South Wales, a time immortalised in the Banjo Patterson’s poem ‘The Man from Snowy River.’
The village waited another 30 years to be formally surveyed in 1874, toward the end of the Victorian gold rush. It was renamed Dalgety after the maiden name of the surveyor’s wife. In 1888, the river punt was retired and the first Dalgety bridge was built.
In 1904, Dalgety was named as the location for the newly federated Australia’s capital city. Sydneysiders immediately complained that it was too close to Melbourne - an early example of the intercity rivalry - and Dalgety lost the crown to Canberra.
These days it is a peaceful small town loved by adventurers and holidaymakers in search of beautiful scenery and an abundance of Australian history.