The historic village of Dalgety, on the banks of the Snowy River, is the only town left on the River in New South Wales. After the Snowy Hydro Electric Scheme was built in the 1950’s, the old towns of Jindabyne and Adaminaby were flooded.
Previously known as Buckley’s Crossing, the township was surveyed in 1874 by Surveyor General J.R Campbell. Dalgety was once a major stock crossing when bullock trains were an important mode of transport. Before the bridge was built in 1888 a punt was used to carry stock and travellers across the river. This is situated just north of the Holiday Park.
In 1902 Dalgety was gazetted as the site for the National Capital. Although there was much debate, it was finally thought to be too close to Victoria so Dalgety missed out to Canberra.
Many buildings in Dalgety were built in the 1880’s and are part of the Historic Town and River Walk. Most of these buildings are now private residences.